Creamy, thick, and rich with lots of garlic flavour and a hint of lemon, this is a dish that adults and children will both love. The avocado works really well to create a creamy and thick sauce, perfect for rainy winter days! Add pine nuts or sun-dried tomatoes or even chilli peppers for an added fresh flavour!
- 9 ounces (255 grams) uncooked pasta
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra if you need it
- 1- 1 1/2 ripe medium avocados, pitted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Optional: finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- In an un-oiled pan, toss the pine nuts on medium heat until browned, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, combine garlic and basil, and mix together.
- Add lemon juice, oil, avocado, and water and blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit more oil or water, or lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add all of the avocado sauce and stir until combined.
- Add the pine nuts and optional sun-dried tomatoes, and toss the pasta.
- You can rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
- Top with pepper, lemon zest, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.