With a long weekend coming up, it’s nice to have a few treats around the house, or something extra special to take along on a picnic! You’re going to love these vegan gluten-free old fashioned cake doughnut mini muffins. They’re perfectly spiced old fashioned cake doughnuts—in muffin form!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand, see note below)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (see note below)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (see nutmeg tip above)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I use almond)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease mini muffin tin (x 24)
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted coconut oil, non-dairy milk, applesauce, and vanilla together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 full.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- While muffins are baking, place melted coconut oil in 1 bowl and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl
- Remove muffins from oven and cool for 10 minutes in tin.
- Remove muffins from tin and place on a cooling rack.
While still warm, dip 1 muffin at a time into the oil first. Make sure the entire top is coated with the oil. Then dip the same muffin into the sugar/cinnamon mixture, ensuring that the entire top is covered with the cinnamon sugar mix. Place muffin back onto cooling rack.
- Repeat with entire batch until done.