Finding holiday treats we can feel good about isn’t easy. Especially when it comes to nourishing our kids! Luckily we discovered a vegan holiday brownie that’s not only delicious, it’s customizable for all kinds of diets.
Change up the whole wheat flour for spelt, add or leave out walnuts, and add some fresh cranberries or a nut butter swirl on top before baking. And, get extra festive by adding holiday flavours of peppermint extract instead of vanilla, candied ginger or gingerbread spices.
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp whole wheat flour or spelt flour
- 1 tbsp starch like arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered/fine sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegan semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp instant espresso/coffee
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp vegan mini chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk really well.
- Heat the maple syrup and water in a pan. Add the semi sweet chocolate and mix until melted.
- Add vanilla, coffee and oil and mix in.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix to just about combined. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Drop the mixture onto a well floured 8 by 8 inch brownie pan.
- Spread mixture evenly and sprinkle toppings (chopped walnuts, chocolate chips)
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes. Check with a toothpick about an inch from the edge. Do not over bake. Check every 2 minutes if adding more baking time.
- Cool for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.