There’s an age-old practice that is well researched, but widely overlooked when it comes to mind-body health. The list of benefits to Qi Gong is long: it loosens muscles and builds power, strengthens organs and nerves, improves vascular function, eases stress and balances emotions.
It’s based on the premise that stagnant energy brings on all kinds of problems physically and emotionally. Through gentle exercises, repeated a number of times we can increase fluid movement and build self-awareness, becoming more attuned to how the body moves through space.
- There’s a very old practice called Qi Gong that is super good for your mind and body. This exercise wakes up your muscles, joints and organs, and gives your cells a buzz. Plus, it’s fun! It involves shaking your body to let go of pent up feelings and energy.
- Start by reaching one arm in front of you. Now shake your hand gently, back and forth. Let the shake travel to your elbow and now up to your shoulder. Now try the other arm. Awesome isn’t it? Can you feel your energy vibrating along your arms?
- Now lets shake our whole body! Lets see if you can keep shaking while staying on your mat. Shake your whole body up and down. Close your eyes if you can. Keep it gentle.
- Breathe easily and freely. The movement doesn’t need to be fast. You can even leave your arms down and shake your shoulders. If anything feels uncomfortable, shake that part slower.
- When the music ends take a seat on your mat and close your eyes if you’d like. Put one hand on your heart and the other on your belly. Notice the sensations. Breathe low and slow and notice your heart slowing down.